Cats

November 26, 2012

There are cats in Istanbul.  Everywhere.  

Luke said, “Stray...” with disgust this morning on public (bus 91). I countered with, “Healthy” as if I could combat my fraternity house living with one simple argument.

I wanted to say that I liked how healthy they looked, not mangy or underfed.  Or the way that on every street corner, and I mean every street corner there were food bowls and water, as if Istanbul said, “We take care of our own without judgement or disrespect.”  

But Luke wouldn’t appreciate that.

One, after all,  must be responsible and all pets should be spayed or neutered.  

So, instead, I nodded and added, “I just like the way they sit on the motorcycles or curl up in the flower boxes, wander into jewelry shops.”  And with a simple reply of “I don’t like cats”,  the conversation was over.



(photographs by m. marjerrison)

Comments

Popular Posts