Back in Milano

July 9, 2009



In order to show Justin, La Scala, the famed opera house, I had gotten tickets to the Pink Floyd Ballet for our last night in Milano. I had been secretly excited that tickets to Aida were sold out, because I had been wanting to see a ballet there. I was a little skeptical about this ballet, but Justin seemed game and said, "Well, I don't know much about Pink Floyd and I think I even know less about ballet, but it sounds interesting."

"I think it will be an adventure!" I said, as I warned him to at least pretend that it was okay, because I was probably going to love it and there is nothing more disheartening to me than people who complain about the Arts.

Amy added, "I mean he can just fall asleep. I do that all the time and you think it is funny!" It is true. Amy, Annie and I had season tickets to various concerts this year from Madame La Combe, a retired teacher, who gladly helps 'culture' teachers by getting them cheap tickets to La Scala. We shared a richly decorated box on the fourth level, with three other teachers. The music would drift through the hall and whenever Amy got the stool next to the ledge of the box, she had no qualms about putting her head down on the cushioned red velvet and taking a little nap. It did make me laugh, especially when she would wake up three minutes later, looking directly into the eyes of the 70 year old man in the neighboring booth who was doing the exact same thing.

It turned out, Justin did not have enough time to sleep. The ballet lasted only an hour and forty five minutes, the perfect amount of time for a novice ballet watcher. I was right, I did love it and if Justin didn't like it, he did a very good job of hiding it from me. We were out the exit of La Scala by 9:45 and had just enough time to hop in a cab and go to Viola for dinner. It was the last night of our Italian trip, it felt weird and exciting to think we would be heading to Washington in the morning.

At Viola, we ordered a bottle of wine, black rice salad with pear, cabbage, and parmigana, Tagliata served over arugula and a farfalle pasta with mint, melon and feta. We laughed and talked but soon felt sweat rolling down our bodies it was so hot and it didn't take long to realize the mosquitoes were out again. We both had dozens of bites and getting new ones by the minute. Justin scratched and noted they were even biting him through his socks.

"I could not live in this place, I think I would kill someone." He said, as he was squirming out of his seat, because he was itching so frantically.

"I KNOW! THEY ARE AWFUL!" I said, as I worked on scratching my own ankles, "I have been bitten on my eyelids and have had to go to school with swollen eyes!"



After we finished, we quickly paid our bill and took the path home through the navigli. I wanted him to see the canal district. The bars were packed and the table sellers were out bellowing their sales pitches. A new product, immediately caught Justin's eye, a tennis racquet bug zapper. He immediately stopped and started talking with the salesperson and before we knew it, he was 7 euros poorer but had a smile from ear to ear across his face.

"This is a great invention!" he said, as I watched the 'Federer Mosquito Killer' swinging through the air.

I have to say, Justin was not alone in his purchase. It was very popular on the navigli that night and the zapping noise of the electrocution showed that our ankles were attempting their revenge. I couldn't help but think of capitalism. Ah......so much better than those dancing singing chickens!

Comments

Popular Posts