Year Two

Well, moving to Italy was an interesting moment for me. Prior to the job fair in February 2007, I had said emphatically to Jim and Kyle, in the hallway of GCS, that I didn't care where I went in the world, but I knew I did NOT want to move to Italy. Fortunately, whenever I say such statements, fate intervenes. So now, here I am in year number two of my three contract for the American School of Milan. My first year in Italy, could easily be labeled as the happiest year of my life. Which is interesting because it also provided difficulty that most Americans are not used to. In a year, I gave up the convenience that America does so well. I did not have a car, a dishwasher, a clothes dryer. I said good bye to 24 hour pharmacies and supermarkets. I also said good bye to verbal communication. I went to Italy at a time in my life when I was the most sad I had ever been.

My director says, people move across the world to either run away from something or run to something. I guess I sort of did both. I couldn't run far enough from the feelings I had in my heart, but leaving my old life and starting one that I had longed for, seemed like the only option. So I ran toward the hope that even if I was heartbroken, at least I would see a different part of the world. A place that had built one of the most beautiful empires in history. It was a gamble and it worked.

I had not studied Italian before I left, which is awful and something I wish I didn't have to admit, but it is true. So even today, I am far behind many of my friends who arrived the same time as me. I am thankful that the focus has returned in my life and I am optimistic that this year I have a chance at putting in the effort to actually acquire some of the skills I will need to communicate in Italian.

So I have admitted that my Italian is somewhat atrocious. But what is interesting about year two is that I feel comfortable in Milan. The weight that felt like a lead vest put on before getting mouth xrays at the dentist, that was so present during each task done last year, has been magically lifted. Milan suddenly feels like home. The map and streets don't worry me any more. I haven't mastered the city nor seen everything there is to see, but I have seen enough of it that it makes me feel comfortable. I love being a city girl, though I am quite sure I don't fit in with Milanese, but I can't help but feel ecstatic when people ask me for directions in Italian. I can't answer them YET, but sometimes I can at least understand what they are saying.

Year two has begun with the loss of good friends to Hong Kong, Beijing, Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona. I look at Mike, Paul, Annie and Jenna and my heart skips at the thought that they could leave next year, just like so many last year. I gain comfort in the fact that Mike has a Sicilian girlfriend and Jenna is an artist. But, I am also reminded that it is the nature of international teaching, you must be able to say good bye to amazing people and love them from across the world.



But year two has also begun with more shenanigans, which could ensure that this year will hopefully be just as amazing as last. Amy has become a girl who has metallic flip flops, a clear sign that Milan has changed her. She also has gold and silver sandals. Would the Amy of Hampton Falls recognize the girl who now compliments girls with pale pink bikes and plans what gelato she will eat in order to compliment the colors of her dress?



We, don't have morning bike rides to work anymore, however, we laugh so much that I often wonder if I will make it to June 27th before I pee my pants (fingers crossed). To people who don't particularly like rules, we have decided that this year is going to have a couple. 1) This year will be about great food (made and eaten out). 2) I will write and she will draw A LOT. 3) We will be wearing house dresses that we see the nonnas in the neighborhood wear, and 4) We are going to steal as many tram rides as we possibly can (I am so sorry Mom)!

So, how are we doing on our goals?
Well.....

Amy's house dress

Sunday Writing/Drawing





We found a cafe overlooking the Duomo and drank macchiatos and pellegrinos, a perfect Sunday, until a pigeon actually pooped on Amy, which made us laugh and gag at the same time.

Stealing from the tram police:



We have a secret desire to outrun the tram police, who randomly surround the trams to check people's tickets. Tickets that you can only purchase at a metro stop or at a tabacchi (tabacco shop), which makes it somewhat inconvenient to buy. We got caught on a day, when we actually didn't intend to steal a ride. Doesn't that just figure? We had planned on walking one of the smaller ring roads that encircles the city, Half way around, Amy felt a little shaky and sort of sick, so after my prodding, because she is always sort of tough, we hopped on a tram. One stop later, we were surrounded and had no identification nor money to pay the 34 Euro fine. According to the tram police, we would have to wait for the "real" police to arrive. After about five minutes of waiting, I came up with an idea.

"What if I ran home for the money,while she stays and waits?" I asked.
"Where do you live? How far is it?" They asked. In my head, I was instantly thinking they should perhaps ask how long it would take me to run the three miles home. I am not a runner and after the question was out of my mouth I instantly regretted the question. I realized I would not be able to take a tram home. It would be my luck to get caught twice in the same day for stealing rides. I could almost picture Amy and I stranded on the curb in two different parts of the city with no cell phones, identification nor money waiting for the police to come. So jogging home was the only option, a vision that Amy sweetly said looked a little like Pheobe running (flailing) on an episode of "Friends".

So, as I was panting home, Amy was left with the men in uniforms. They immediately asked for her phone number and tried to kiss her hands and up her arms. When I returned, she no longer looked shaky, instead she looked a little horrified. We quickly paid the 68 Euros for our "get out of jail" passes and walked slowly to the Duomo. Both of our faces red for different reasons. We couldn't help but document our adventure in the nearest photo booth, still shaking and wanting a shower any time we thought about the officer kissing her arm.

I am not sure what we expect, didn't Belusconi once say, "Another reason to invest in Italy is that we have beautiful secretaries... superb girls." I guess it turns out Italy has beautiful digital art teachers too...

Comments

Liz said…
This made me laugh, I just arrived in Krakow and encountered the trams and fare-dodging. It is so very tempting.

On a tangent, if you want to see something funny, this is an old German short on the subject that a friend sent me. It's titled Schwarzfahrer, which is the German word for someone who steals rides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFQXcv1k9OM

(-Liz K.)

Popular Posts