Futbol



November 27, 2007

Amy had won a bet. She had banked on the Boston Red Soxs winning the World Series and she earned herself a ticket to a futbol match with Blake. Somehow, I got invited to come along and we had one great night with the guys.




We had to purchase tickets at the game. If you know anything about Italians, they don't believe in lines. Instead, it is just one mass of people pushing and swearing up to the window. When you finally get to the window, your cheeks are practically pushed against the glass.

Amy responded, "I think the guy behind me, got all the way to third base!"

"Oh my God! Me too!" As we realized we were some of the only women in the crowd and the Italian men were definitely taking advantage of that fact.

"Does anyone say that anymore? Getting to third base?" Amy laughed.

"I don't know, but I definitely feel violated!" I responded.



Each person had to wait "in line" themselves and show identification to get a ticket. There had been a shooting at a soccer match a couple weeks before, which made Blake think it would be easier to get tickets. In reality it was easy. Just a little man handling and a twenty minute shoving match and we were ready to enter the stadium about ten minutes late.

InterMilan was playing Istanbul. The stadium was only half filled and we were high in the upper deck. It was relatively low key, until Inter scored its first goal. At that point the Italian crowd taunted and screamed and used hand gestures that almost made me blush. We laughed and listened to Paul give his opinions on Italian culture. I just sat back and enjoyed hanging out with the guys. It felt like a very American thing to do.

I only realized we weren't in America, when instead of going to the local pub after the game, we headed to a wine bar and sampled different varieties of red wines. I couldn't help but be a little shocked when I listened to our P.E. teachers talk about the different grapes and the wine they produced. It is a fine life!

Comments

Popular Posts