Magic Tricks!



As I sit here, at my school's computer, contemplating the fact that my macbook's hard drive, in all actuality is probably dead, I wish Spencer's magic could save all the memories that are in that little piece of hardware. A year and a half of writing is gone. A year and half of pictures, of music, all gone. The pictures are nothing, they are in my mind. But, my words! I feel as if my soul has evaporated in one moment on a blinking question mark computer screen.

I keep reminding myself that it is just words. Words that will come again. Isn't it is all artificial anyway, the recreation, the story?

But the stories are grand, aren't they? In my head, I can hear Spencer's giggle and Cooper's little muffled voice coming from under the table covered with a white hotel towel, as they used their new magnets to create magic tricks that their dear old Grandfather had created with them. Spencer laughing, telling Cooper to quiet down, or we would "realize" the secret.

"I told you that I should have been under the table and Cooper should have done the trick. At least I can be quiet! Cooper just loves to talk too much!" Spencer explained to my Dad, who had clearly been the director. My Dad just nodded realizing that Spencer had a point. I guess it takes a talker to know a talker.

My family had traveled half way across the world. They would visit duomos and museums and eat fantastic food and meet new people. Yet, for me, it was in that moment in the hotel, the simple act of family and joy that took my breath away.

Comments

Popular Posts