The Empire State Building is My Husband!



July 22, 2007

Heather came with me to stay at Riley's Manhattan apartment, so that I could go and get my visa at the Italian Consulate. It was the first time in a long while, we had traveled alone together. The four of us (Heather, Riley, little Atreya and I) went grocery shopping and bought delectable cheeses and breads, grapes and avacados. We sipped wine on the roof of Riley's 10th Street apartment that is nestled beautifully between Greenwich and Washington. I felt as if the Empire State Building was flirting with me, and when it asked for my hand in marriage, I accepted without reserve. I did fight back my exuberance and thus the urge to stand on the railing and scream, I love New York. Although, I think the only thing that truly stopped me was my incredible fear of heights. Wine was consumed and laughter filled the air. I can't remember the last time, we had such a moment. Probably not since high school. The next day, I would look at Heather and say, "I shall never forget last night! It will always be a treasure to me!"

Although, I did have to forgive her for accidentally calling a guy I had been seeing. She was attempting to call her sister, Ashley...turns out A's in the contact lists are a very tricky thing. Oh well, it provided a time for holding and shaking your head the next day, which is always part of the fun.

The Italian consulate turned out to be an adventure all on its own. I waited in the pouring rain for three hours to find out I will need to go back August 2nd. I secretly believe I have found my ideal country. As the grumpy consulate worker, handed a blank piece of computer paper down the line of a hundred people, and as I watched it slowly disintegrate in the rain, I realized that perhaps Italy was a little like me, unorganized and impromptu. Oh, please let me in, my dearest Italy. I promise to have a grand time!

Comments

Popular Posts