Birthday Celebrations


February 2, 2013

Around the corner from Mike's house is Cucina Fusetti, a retro looking restaurant, who serves cheap drinks for early aperitivo.  We always said we should eat there.  But months passed and only drinks were taken.

"I hate to say this, but I will be really mad if you eat there without me," I said to Mike one afternoon as fall turned to winter. 

'So maybe we should go there for my birthday,' I thought.  

"You should walk there after school and make a reservation," he said with a smile, as if happy to help my Italian teacher get me to finally do my homework.  

"I can't." I said. 
"They speak English, Rebecca."
"That is not the point.  Please?"
"I might be able to walk there with you, but you are going to do it."
"I can't."  
He shook his head.
 "I made a reservation for 8pm,"  I wrote with a smile, "(In Italian.)"
"You called?"
"Don't be ridiculous. Facebook." 

When I got to the dinner, I was greeted by the men of Cucina Fusetti, who seemed happy to use my name.  Little Pietro came with a rose that Elenora had bought from a street seller.  He handed it to me as I smiled, reminded of my own nephews, who once called me 'Becca' too.  

I reached for Robert's hand and held it, as he and Mary shared their homemade bread with me.

"Thank you so much for coming."  I said, happy to sit with them for awhile.  

Pietro, who, earlier in the week, had blown kisses as I left their apartment, was now safely on my lap and taking advantage of  his proximity, had taken to kissing his hand and slapping my face, ensuring the kiss' delivery. 


After dinner, the group lost some and gained others, as we headed out for the night.

Laura earlier in the day had helped reserve a table at Gattopardo, an old church, renovated into a club.  Drinks served at the altar.

"Gippo's Casa," as Jenna put it.

Gippo joined our table of girls, happily supplying us with cocktails until the early morning hours.

"My man likes to dance!"  Jenna said proudly, as she saw his arms rising from his sides moving to the music.




When 5 am, came and I was just unlocking the door to my apartment, I thought, I may be too old for this sort of thing, but man, did I have a lot of fun.

Cucina Fusetti
Via Mario Fusetti, 1
Milano
+39 340 861 2676
(photograph of Cucina Fusetti & boys of Fusetti supplied by https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cucina-Fusetti)

Gattopardo
Via Piero delle Francesca 47
Milano
(39) 02 318 20871






Comments

Popular Posts