Coffee cups  
Snow storms
Pick pockets 
#5 trams heading to Centraal Station. 

In words, 
Songs,
Photographs that line exhibits, 
In heavy boots, 
The desire to save the world. 

For you it may be different:
Pelts made into rugs, 
Duck blinds 
Spring loaded and ready.

And I may laugh at you 
When I am home alone 
With my friends, 
The ones who understand that the laughter 
Isn’t about you at all.

It is true 
There is no intention to 
Hurt nor offend. 
Trust me on this, 
It says far more about me than you. 

It’s just that I have worried about lost time.

When you feel antsy 
Among the Botticelli 
Hanging in the Uffizi,
Remember that I am like that 
In other places 
equally as beautiful. 

Let’s not change each other 
With the intent to do so. 
For we will certainly be changed. 

Instead, let me sit with you 
For awhile 
And when it is time to leave, 
Let one of us 
Or the other 
Do 
Just 
That. 

It is so incredibly simple
As time turns into age. 
I don’t want compromise
and why should I?

For there will be 
No more promises of forever
Reeking of carrion.

I have been known to die
In such embraces.

Comments

Popular Posts