"Dinner Party"


October 9, 2007

Months ago, I had downloaded songs from itunes and carefully created a playlist titled, "Dinner Party", half chuckling at the thought that I could actually throw a dinner party. But never-the-less, I created the list, as if picturing what sitting around drinking great wine and eating fantastic food would feel like in my new home in Italy. Yet, then I realized at 31, I could probably count on one hand the number of meals I had actually prepared all on my own, without the help of my very important village.

Growing up in Jim and Sandee Utter's house you gain a respect and love for food that is hard to describe. Sitting here in Italy, probably one of the things I miss the most is my family's Friday night dinners my parents carefully planned and would take place right around our large kitchen table.

So, when Jenn told me she thought we should invite Elizabeth and Samer over for dinner, I was somewhat petrified. How on Earth could I be responsible for cooking dinner for the middle and high school principals and not have my Mom and Dad over to help in the preparations?

So, I sat down like any rational person would do and I thought about it. I mean, hadn't my sister sent me gift subscriptions to Martha Stewart Living for the last 8 years? Hadn't I learned anything from this clear act of love? Hmmmm…So in my head, I thought, 'Yes, let's have Elizabeth and Samer over.' Then I quickly thought, 'What would my sister do?' Having no internet, (it is of course coming domani) I did the old fashioned thing and started looking through Jenn's cookbooks. Once the recipe was picked, I would then, of course, make a list. I mean, really, how many lists had I seen Tracey make through the years? She bought special books at target, which were just the right size for her lists. It seemed to work for her, why wouldn't it work for me? My sister can throw one hell of a dinner party and hadn't I helped her make miniature meringue chickens for Cooper's 2nd birthday party? I had! Maybe I could do this after all! So pen in hand I sat down to make my first list. I hate to admit it, but I felt sort of proud.

The rest of the tasks came and went quickly with little incident or problem. Yet the whole time my head, getting bigger and bigger…. Shopping- check.. cleaning – check…..check. All these tasks were done with such relative ease, that I began to ponder what had been the cause of such stress before? I mean how many times had I called my Mom in a complete panic to tell her to come immediately over to help me? Why was cooking dinner an act of complete horror a few short months ago? I suddenly came to the conclusion that it must be the fact that I have stopped living like an absolute disaster. The Rebecca of today, actually makes her bed, folds her clothes and I must say she usually washes her dishes immediately following dinner. Mom and Dad, at 31, I think I might have finally grown up! YIPPEE!

So what did I cook? You are expecting some amazing feat, some fantastic meal? Baby steps, folks, baby steps. I cooked farfalle pasta with a light cream sauce of mushrooms, proscuitto and sun-dried tomatoes, served with salad and bread. Wine from Toscana, an array of cheeses and olives for appetizers and had brownies and nocciola gelato for dessert. It was a school night meal and well, it was a school night, so it was perfect! Of course, Amy cooked the brownies, Jenn arranged the appetizers and I was responsible for cooking the main course (and setting the table). So, don't worry, I haven't abandoned the village mentality, I just didn't scream or cry, while doing it. Of course, I used every dish in the apartment and I probably looked like one hot mess when our guests arrived, but oh my, did I have fun! What more can you ask for when you have a wine glass in your hand and a smile on your face. And even though we are forced to use many college-like utensils, I finally felt like I belong in my 31 year old age bracket

Comments

Popular Posts